NASHVILLE, The Tennessee Division of Commerce and Insurance policies is reminding house owners to enjoy for property enhancement frauds this spring.
In accordance to a news release, TDCI and the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors are reminding people of methods they can take to employ dependable contractors.
Buyers can examine the criticism and disciplinary record of a contractor by the Board for Licensing Contractors by contacting (800) 544-7693 or (615) 741-8307, or by emailing [email protected]
To file a grievance, click on below.
Tennessee’s felony theft legislation addresses buyers when a contractor takes income and does not carry out get the job done inside 90 days, according to the release. For a lot more details, click in this article.
Residents are also reminded of the subsequent:
- A contractor’s license is needed ahead of bidding or rate negotiations on assignments of $25,000 or additional.
- For assignments under $25,000, verify with your community government’s building codes workplace to confirm if a contractor needs a point out or community license to accomplish house improvement, electrical, plumbing or HVAC do the job, and their allow needs for inspections.
- Assure they are effectively accredited here.
- Get a number of bids and verify references just before committing
- Be cautious of contracts advertising door-to-doorway repairs, primarily when requested for payment up entrance or deep reductions.
- Inquire who will be executing perform (contractor, worker or subcontractor)
- Get a prepared agreement with contractor’s identify, handle, cellphone range, expected condition and completion date.
- Tennessee’s House Improvement law prohibits contractors from inquiring for a down payment of a lot more than 1/3 of the complete agreement.
- Make confident the contractor is insured and request for copies of certificates exhibiting a present helpful date.
- In no way spend with funds or the overall charge prior to the work is full.
To prevent becoming the target of deceptive techniques, watch for these purple flags:
- An unlicensed person likely doorway-to-doorway
- A man or woman who employs significant-stress income tactics
- Stay away from functioning with another person in unmarked trucks or vans, and refuses to established out total or particular contract phrases in composing.